Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Things I have learned in the past 5 weeks...

So I haven't blogged for years (not really, but it feels like it).  Life has been super busy and stressful lately, but I'm learning a lot. I felt I needed to write it all down so I would remember it.

For those of you who don't know I'm a special ed major. I'll graduate in April and be a real life teacher...but to get there I have had to have some growing pains. Since August 2012, I have been going to school full time (even Spring and Summer semester). It has been doable and I have loved it for the most part. But then "Summer Practicum" started...and I hated it. I was all of a sudden in charge of 4 students who were between the ages of 6 and 7 and all had Autism. From 8:30am-11:45am, Monday-Friday I was in charge of teaching these students Math, Writing and Reading along with dealing with their behavior problems. I felt very under prepared and felt like I could barely stay afloat. For the first week I would come home and cry. I am not a crier...but I sure turned into one. I had never felt so inadequate and stressed at the same time. While this was going on I was busy being the Activities Co-chair for my ward and we had a cabin trip I had to help plan, and things with some of my friends were not going smoothly. I felt like I was drowning.

I can't pin point a turning point, but eventually I stopped crying. I had this desire to learn and find new ways to help my students. I started asking my cooperating teacher questions every day, and staying after extra to figure out things I could do better. I tried hard to make my lessons engaging and to truly learn to love my students. Now I'm on my last week, and I love it. Yes, I'm excited for it to be over because I'm tired of all the assignments, observations and stress I have had. But I am so sad to not see my students, and for this time to come to an end. At the beginning I doubted my career choice, at the end I have no doubt in my mind that this is what I love and want to do.

These are somethings I have learned:
  • Kids love to play games, so if you make learning into a game you can't loose 
  • Praising a kid can go a long way (so constantly praising them can turn them into angels)
  • It is easier to ask, then to do something wrong without asking
  • Being a teacher takes a lot of patience, humility and humor
  • The Spirit is always there to help you to love your students, be patient and to help you be humble
  • You can do anything if you keep the Lord as your number one priority 
  • Even the hardest kid can become someone you love with all your heart
  • You will miss the days when the hardest kid is gone
  • Elementary school is cheesy (I'm not cheesy)
  • The Temple can be a source for peace
  • Having Costa Vida Fridays can help you manage your stress
  • My family are my best friends
  • Play hard on your weekends and the weeks will feel worth it

5 comments:

  1. Love this! Thanks for sharing. Miss reading your posts. You learned a lot in 5 weeks! I am very impressed with all that you learned.. I am sure your students love you. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was lovely Stacy....you really learned what you were supposed to - because you put in the kind of work that only the successful students finally figure out is necessary. You decided that really doing the work was the only way you would get to the place you went into the program to get to, and then you actually did it. I'm really proud of you. What a great teacher you're going to be. And you even wrote about it - wow! Even Better. Well Done Stacy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AW Stacy this was so heart warming to read. You are an amazing person and I love you. I am so lucky to have you as my sister. You are so quiet about your hard work and successes it was nice to get to read about them. You are going to be an amazing special education teacher. So happy you found a career you will love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Stacy! Glad you found your calling.
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are fantastic. I have yet to learn to love practicum, so I'm glad you have!

    ReplyDelete