Sunday, August 15, 2010

"Dang it, that's a lot to handle"

Call me weird but the other night I was babysitting my nephew. I started reading him stories and the last book I read to him was "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" I surprised myself because I started to tear up at some parts. Read that book if you haven't read it lately. Here are some parts that I just loved (sorry kinda long sections...but so good):"You won't lag behind, because you'll have the speed.
You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead.
Wherever you fly, you'll be the best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.
Except when you don't
Because, sometimes, you won't.
I'm sorry to say so
but, sadly, it's true
and Hang-ups
can happen to you.
You can get all hung up
in a prickle-ly perch.
And your gang will fly on.
You'll be left in a Lurch.
You'll come down from the Lurch
with an unpleasant bump.
And the chances are, then,
that you'll be in a Slump.
And when you're in a Slump,
you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself
is not easily done."


"Oh, the places you'll go! There is fun to be done!
There are points to be scored. there are games to be won.
And the magical things you can do with that ball...
Except when they don't.
Because, sometimes, they won't.
I'm afraid that some times
you'll play lonely games too.
Games you can't win
'cause you'll play against you.
All Alone!
Whether you like it or not,
Alone will be something
you'll be quite a lot.
And when you're alone, there's a very good chance
you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants.
There are some, down the road between hither and yon,
that can scare you so much you won't want to go on.
But on you will go
though the weather be foul
On you will go
though your enemies prowl
On you will go
though the Hakken-Kraks howl
Onward up many
a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.
On and on you will hike
and I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are."

Dr. Seuss says it best.

2 comments:

  1. Dang, that is a lot to handle. I had no idea Dr. Seuss got so deep. Green eggs and ham doesn't seem to hold a candle to this. Good stuff from the doctor.

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who’ll decide where to go.

    Stace, you have found one of my favorite books! It always makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete