Sunday, June 7, 2009

Don't Stop Believing

I want to tell you about John and Grace. John is 92, and Grace is 90. A group of the singles ward I am in went to go sing at a Beehive Home (Retirement house). We sung hymns and talked with the people there. I had the privilege of talking with John. While we were singing I noticed a few things. First, John would sing along. Then John would help Grace with her napkin. Then John would help Grace with her sleeve. Then John would smile at Grace. Grace would ask for John's help. Grace would smile and wink at John. They both would wrinkle their noses at each other. As I sang the hymns and watched this dear couple interact a couple thoughts came to me. I want to grow old with someone. I want a "John." I want someone to love me when I am old, wrinkly, have a toothless smile, and sometimes not always with it. I want someone to hold my hand when I'm 90 and we both can smile because we knew we had lived our lives. When I got talking to John he said to me, "I am going to be 93 this year, and well...I know there are things in my life I would have rather not done....but overall I have lived...a good life." I'm happy for John and Grace. 
People, places, trails, experience...they are all put in our lives for reasons. I think John has seen the "big" picture now that he is older and looking back on his life. Yeah, there were things he would have rather not done...but those things do not out weigh the good. That's how life should be. We should have good times in life that we can smile about, and be able to smile while we are going through tough times! Well...I honestly have to say, I cannot wait til I find my best friend that I get to spend eternity with--the man that I will raise my kids with, and spoil our grand kids with! What a new chapter of life that will be--not always easy, but worth it. I hope that one day, me and my best friend can wink at each other and smile because we know we lived a good life. 

2 comments:

  1. i love this. i think about it all the time when old people come in to work. man...cutest thing in the world. one day. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Stacy. John and Grace were depicted in "Up!" That was the sweetest story of sharing an adventure of life together!

    ReplyDelete