Sunday, March 13, 2011

Doors

"“Being human, we would expel from our lives physical pain and mental anguish and assure ourselves of continual ease and comfort, but if we were to close the doors upon sorrow and distress, we might be excluding our greatest friends and benefactors. Suffering can make saints of people as they learn patience, long-suffering, and self-mastery” (Faith Precedes the Miracle, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1972, p. 98).

"In that statement, President Kimball refers to closing doors upon certain experiences in life. That image brings to mind a line from Cervantes’ great classic, Don Quixote, that has given me comfort over the years. In that masterpiece, we find the short but very important reminder that where one door closes, another opens. Doors close regularly in our lives, and some of those closings cause genuine pain and heartache. But I do believe that where one such door closes, another opens (and perhaps more than one), with hope and blessings in other areas of our lives that we might not have discovered otherwise."

This is an excerpt from a talk given by President Howard W. Hunter and it can be found here.

I feel like I've had a door shut in my life...and lately I've been just looking back at that shut door and having a hard time to start looking for the open door(s). The talk by Elder Holland comes to mind...about remembering Lot's wife...(it can be found here). I know I need to trust in my future, and realize that the last door to close, is closed...

...but sometimes it is just not easy...

I'm grateful for Sundays. I'm grateful for time to reflect on my life and to adjust things that need some adjusting. I know I need to stop looking at the closed door, but the what if statements come and its hard to let it go...

I know God has a plan for me. I know that I may "plan" my life to be one way, but usually those plans don't happen, and He shows me something even greater. I'm going to start searching for the open door(s)...I'll tell you what I find.


3 comments:

  1. I love your strength and beauty, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you find...love you Stace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep us posted. You will find that open door. Love you, Fans from Ephraim.

    ReplyDelete