Monday, August 8, 2011

Future

Last January I started to pray about a mission. I kept getting the response, "Now is not the time." So I figured maybe I would serve in a year or so and do it after I finished my bachelors degree. But the Lord has a plan for me...and I've noticed that if I pay close attention to the Spirit, the Lord is directing me towards this plan.

Yesterday I went to my home singles ward. The Relief Society is first, and the lesson was about the difference of "be" verses "become." We talked about how our whole purpose in life is to become, and through that process a lot of change and hardships will come our way, but these things will only make us stronger. Susan Purdy shared an experience about her mission, and how it was hard for her to understand why the Lord had her come home early, when she had worked so hard to be on that mission. So that was the first thing that made me start to think about a mission that day.

Then we had Sunday school...and we talked about the only 2 things we need to worry about is 1. Love the Lord and 2. Love one another. I started to think about love, and what it really means to love the people around you.

So with both those thoughts in my mind I went to Fast and Testimony meeting. There was kinda a theme about what we believe verses what we know. I started to get overwhelmed with the Spirit and just start to tear up. The things going through my head were these, "What am I doing with my life right now? I have the ability to love others, why not do that through missionary work? What could be more important then serving the Lord at this time of my life? I've been given so much, I should give everything I have back. I will miss my family. (starting crying a lot after that thought) I will miss the cruise in May..." Then the Spirit spoke to me and said, "You will always have something to keep you here, but now is your time to prepare and go on a mission." The closing hymn was "Because I Have Been Given Much."

Pretty loud and clear. I don't doubt that that's what the Lord wants me to do. I'll be honest...it scares me to death a little. I'm mostly scared about missing my family, and if I have to learn a new language. I'm not afraid to stand for what I know and believe...I know the Lord will bless me, and my fears and doubts will subside. Already, the more I say, "I'm going on a mission," the more I feel comfortable with it.

My plan is to leave by January of 2012. I have to sell my fall/winter contract first, move home and then work with my Bishop from my home single's ward. I'm excited. This will be a grand adventure full of many things I can't even imagine.

2 comments:

  1. yessssss. so excited for you stace face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I am so glad that you shared this story. What a powerful example of doing what you know is right and being worthy of the spirit to receive this direction. I know that you will be an incredible missionary and we will MISS you, but I promise these kids will be great at sending letters and packages! :)

    ReplyDelete